Saturday, April 11, 2020


                                            

Crochet/Knitting


     I warned you I'd be back.  Also I'm reclaiming my obsolete training and spacing twice at the end of sentences.  We all need our spaces now.  Above is a photo of my current project I'm calling the "pandemic shawl".  I wanted to mark the time in a tangible way.  I've got a sort of theory.  Most folks are generally either detailed oriented or big picture focused.  You either revel in getting the tiny details perfect or you don't.  Here's the thing about me and stitching projects of just about any kind.  Most tend to be better viewed from a distance.  I always say its because of my early theatre training and how everything looks good from ten feet away.  So imagine my joy when I discovered fulling or felting if you prefer.  I can stitch away happily/sloppily, squeezing the therapy out of the handwork and tossing away the pattern following anxiety.  I throw it in hot water a couple of times and all the dropped stitches and oh craps blend into a harmonious pelt of wooly comfort. That's my intention with this shawl if my inconsistency in stitches and fumbled turnings are too painful to leave undisguised.  This is a terrific opportunity to finally use up some of my yarn stash as well.  I started with a lovely variegated periwinkle wool from Brooks Farm Yarn in Lancaster, TX and am now onto a warm carmelly alpaca yarn from Cibolo Creek Alpacas for which I don't have a link.  I picked these up several years ago and have finally stopped saving them for something special.  This is special! Comfort in a scary time.  I hope you are finding comfort where you can.

Be Well Friends,

Kim

4 comments:

  1. I love this so very much, Kim! I have done a lot of comfort knitting in my time. I just finished a beautiful shawl with about 100 mistakes. I don't care, I love that shawl, it tells the story of what was real at the time. It's my story. The pandemic shawl is part of yours and all of ours. Thanks for being wonderful you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you are finding ways to stay occupies. This too shall pass, and then we can all get pack to our"real life", what ever that is. In the meantime it's good to have a project. Hell, I have about a 100 of them!

    ReplyDelete