Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tangled



When the word Tangle was mentioned the first thing that came to mind was this enamel bowl where I keep my yarn scraps. Yarn scraps, you ask? Yes, yarn scraps. Some two inches, some a couple of feet. If it's left over from a project I'm going to stuff it into this bowl. What makes us keep things? We all know that it can get out of hand. But do you know anyone that doesn't keep something? Maybe its our inner squirrel planning for the day we may need just that right piece of yarn. Secreting it away to stave off a future shortfall. Is it instinctual, this need to nest and plan for just in case?

I know one thing. It is very liberating when I can bring myself to release little stashes of something I didn't really need to keep. Rubber bands,rusty paperclips,salt from take out dinners. I guess they kind of weigh on me. Because I've kept them, I've got an obligation to use them. I'm all for upcycled and recycled,repurpose and reuse but I also believe that if I can let somethings go I make room for something different and fresh to inspire me. So, take a good look at this image of my tangle of yarn scraps. I'm setting them out in the garden tonight for the birds and squirrels to do what they do best. Put them to use.

4 comments:

  1. Like your little story.... There is a fine line between reuse and just plain clutter... I am a strong fan of re-use but we have to be wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the interest of full disclosure....The birds and squirrels only got half my yarn stash,because, you know, I might could use it. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save some things, too... but being on the road alot, I save probably less than most. It always feels good, though, to pack up a bag for the goodwill. I like your idea of recycling... and also the thought that getting rid of old stuff makes room for fresh, new ideas. Have a nice week, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that picture is perfect for the word tangled! I also love your little story. I have my own inner squirrel =)

    ReplyDelete